Thursday, July 8, 2010

To blog or not to blog

A colleague remarked on Twitter that he's thought about blogging, but didn't feel that he had anything of value to say. I started thinking about why I follow him on Twitter: Because he's the sort of person I'd want to hang out with if we lived near each other - insightful, funny, and obviously passionate about his work. His tweets are always worth reading. I can learn from him, be inspired by him, and enjoy his wit.

And this man doesn't think he has anything to offer on a blog, so he hasn't been blogging.

One of the other threads that day was to do with the Dunning-Kruger Effect, which for years I'd been calling "meta-cluelessness" - the idea that some people lack the information or skill to discern that they lack information or skill.

My colleague seemed to be exhibiting the flip side of this effect: Highly capable people tend to underestimate their own skills and knowledge quite consistently, assuming that everyone knows at least as much as they do. If you've been doing a thing for a long time, and have quietly become an expert at it, you may take for granted what you know about it. You may assume that, since you've managed to learn how to knit socks, or rebuild engines, or write help that keeps customers from making tech support calls unless something actually breaks, surely everybody else in the entire world must know how by now.

But you're wrong. Lots of people don't know what you know. If you talk or write about it, some of those people will pay attention. Some of them will find your style engaging, and will want to learn from you. You'll enjoy getting to know some of them through their comments. You'll learn from some of them.

What are you waiting for? Your fans are looking for you. Start writing!

2 comments:

  1. ...said Karen, in her first blog post in five months. ;-)

    You're exactly right, of course. I know that you'll take this to heart -- and I hope that others will too. Write something, and let me decide whether you have anything of value to say. Chances are, you do.

    And, even if you know something, or if you have a valuable opinion, blogging will reinforce that knowledge or strengthen that opinion by making you write it down a coherent, logical fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have been a Bad Blogger. Good thing I'm not blogging for money; I'd have starved by now. Mea culpa. Flog me with a CSS or something. :-) More content as I get to it. That said...
    Thank you for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete