Monday, March 16, 2009

Tina the Technical Writer doesn't work here

If you're a technical writer, you may have had this experience:
The new guy on the product support help desk walks in, holding the system administrator's guide that you designed, researched, wrote, and illustrated. He scans your cubicle, looking for signs of - heaven only knows what, but clearly it's not there.

Help desk guy: "Hey, I just started here and they handed me this manual. It's great! Who wrote it?"
You: "Um...I wrote it. I'm the technical writer."
Help desk guy (gawking): "YOU wrote it??"
You: "Yes. That's my job. I write the manuals. I write the help, too."
Help desk guy: "Who helped you with it?"
You: "Each of the developers answered my questions about the features they own, and they each reviewed the topics where their features are discussed."
Help desk guy (floundering): "But...I mean...how did you know what to write?"
You: "I started with the product requirement documents and the feature design documents, and I spent a lot of time playing with the product as soon as it was stable enough for me to poke around at it."
Help desk guy: "You actually use the product?"
You: "Sure. There's really no other way to get familiar with it, and I have to understand it myself before I can help other people understand it."
At this point the help desk guy generally wanders off to recover from having his world rocked.

If you've ever had that conversation with the disbelieving help desk guy, you know the source of his disbelief and your frustration: Enough people have encountered non-stellar tech writers that stereotypes exist. You can't change that. Neither can I. The only thing we can do is choose not to conform to the stereotypes.

So forget Tina the Technical Writer, the character in Dilbert. She's a cartoon character. Roll up your sleeves and get into the technical details of the thing you need to explain to your customers. Tell your developers when you spot things that may cause problems for customers - "Can you build some validation into this field? Right now, this form lets me build a test condition that's nonsense." Focus on what you do best and let the stereotypes take care of themselves. It doesn't take long for people to realize that whatever they expected, in you they've got a person who readily grasps technical concepts, is passionate about communicating useful information to people who need it, and visibly contributes to the organization's success.

No comments:

Post a Comment